Sunday, March 22, 2009

All finished and a New Name

" The Bee Sisters of Belvedere"
The painting is finally finished and I have to say I'm quite pleased with it. When I painted the faces I really had no idea what I was going to do with the rest. I had a bee theme in mind and I was going to give them "hive" hair but when I started laying down the pieces of tissue paper, I fell in love with the softness. If you have never used tissue paper in your work, give it a try. It's so fun! Anyway, after I finished I added a few bees cut from a vintage science book I "bought" ( I put bought in quotes because I probably never paid her for it) from my sister's shop. Then I gave them the name, "The Bee Sisters of Belvedere" . I don't know anything about
Belvedere, SC. I just thought it sounded good in a The Secret Life of Bees kind of way. I love, love, love that book. I'm thinking of doing a "Sisters" series and maybe trying to get them into a local gallery but I don't know if my work is "Professional" enough for that. If anyone has ever had their work in a gallery, let me know. I'm curious as to how everything works.
Jake and I dug around in the dirt all day today and I have that extra, deep down inside tired that I absolutely love. I used to be the best sleeper. No matter what was going on in my life, I could always count on a good night sleep to escape my worries for eight hours. No more. I think motherhood is responsible. That and losing my father. It just seems since I have had kids, I'm much more aware of my mortality and I have become a serious night thinker. So I have found that serious exercise is the best medicine. Walking helps but nothing beats a dead, deep down tired body and mind to get some awesome ZZZ's.
So with that, I'm off to bed.
I wish you all a very pleasant week!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't believe you have to ask if your art is "professional" enough for a gallery!! You are sooooooo good enough for a gallery in my opinion! I absolutely love your artwork and wish I had half of your talent!

Michelle said...

I agree with Linda B,I have no real professional opinion but I think your art definitely is galley worthy! I love the sisters idea, and the tissue looks great. Hope you have a great sleep. I know what you meant about kids ruining your sleep habits. I have a sicky tonight so I know I will be sleeping with one ear open.

Heidi said...

What a gorgeous painting! I'm no expert but I think you should be in a gallery. It is so much better than a lot of the stuff I've seen in the galleries around here. Go for it!

noodle and lou said...

Absolutely gallery worthy! I never understand what is to be considered "fine art" or "gallery worthy"...but I think this mixed media piece is fabulous:) xox...jenn

Anonymous said...

Oh I just love this one!!!! Have a great week:)

Victorian Lady said...

LOVEly! :) Run with the gallery thing! You'll be great!

:)

Mere

Sassy said...

I ♥ the book..THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES and I think your picture is awesome and gallery worthy! Good sleep is hard for me too...I also lost my father and have children and lost my job...so always thankful when sleep comes...You are very talented!

Audra, Green Meadow Lane said...

Just amazing! I love your work!

julie king said...

just a warm and welcoming painting and the name is so fitting. i love the secret of bees book as well and i thought the movie was very well-done. i so hope you do a sisters series!! and, yes, this piece is gallery worthy!!!